Visiting International Students
Experience Notre Dame
Whether you are taking a course to fulfill a requirement at your home institution, doing research with a Notre Dame faculty member, seeking professional development, or taking a course for personal enrichment, you will find many ways to get ahead and learn something new. Take advantage of the quiet and relaxed atmosphere. It is a wonderful change of pace. Thanks to close interaction with faculty, summer provides many academic opportunities in a comfortable and enjoyable setting. Summer is a great time to take advantage of both Notre Dame's scholarship and spiritual life.
Application and other requirements for *International Students
- Complete a simple online application starting March 21 for visiting students. Ideally, this should be done at least two months prior to the start of the Summer Session.
- International students must be registered as a full-time student (6 credit hours)
- Submit required documentation to support visa and immigration status.
- Submit transcript if applying for courses in the College of Science, College of Engineering, and/or College of Business.
- After receiving confirmation and ndID from the Office of the Summer Session, follow instructions under Admitted Student Checklist.
Learn more from our Frequently Asked Questions page
Learn more from our International Student page
*An International Student at the University of Notre Dame is any student who is present in the United States on a nonimmigrant visa. This includes any person who is not a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident. U.S. immigration regulations govern enrollment requirements and restrictions for individuals who are present in the United States in the various visa categories. Non-Notre Dame summer students and summer-only students must provide accurate information about visa and immigration status during the application process to ensure compliance with the relevant U.S. immigration regulations.
For more information, visit International Student and Scholar Affairs
Reasons to take classes in the summer:
- They are small and interactive
- You can get ahead on your coursework
- You can lighten your load during the regular semesters
- You can have more personal contact with instructors
- You can meet students from other institutions studying or doing research at Notre Dame
- You can participate in intramural sports and participate in summer events planned by the Student Activities Office
Applicants living OUTSIDE the U.S.
- Copy of passport
- Proof of financial resources (i.e. bank statement or letter from sponsor)
- Address where you would like to receive your immigration documents from Notre Dame and contact phone number
- City of birth
- TOEFL score report, might not be required if participating in a program (i.e. research)
Applicants living INSIDE the U.S.
- Copy of passport
- Most recent/current I-20 or DS-2019 Form
- Employment Authorization Document issued for OPT, if applicable
- A non-degree student who wishes to take a science, engineering, or business class in the summer is required to submit a copy of their academic transcript from their home institution before their application can be processed. Students accepted to do research in the summer prior to filling out the Summer Session application will not be required to provide a transcript. All others will be notified after submitting their application.
International documents and transcripts should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.